View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Had a coach tell me the first game I worked this afternoon was "the worst-officiated game I've seen."

Had to happen eventually, right?

As you know, I've been at this all of two weeks, and my partner had been at it for two years. I know I didn't call many fouls, and I know I punted a couple, but the guy was on us for most of the fourth quarter (his team lost by 9).

The guy came into our room and said his piece. Neither my partner nor I said anything, and he left. This was an 8th-grade girls B game.

I honestly didn't think we favored one team over another.

Did two more games after that one, with a different partner, one who had been at it for 18 years. I know an over and back I blew (ironically), but I feel like I tried my best in all three games. After the second one, the coach (the game finished tied - they can have ties after two overtimes in this league) of the visiting team said thanks and that we did a good job (and I actually felt like I had a tougher time with the second game - sixth-grade girls B - than I did with the first game) and that "I have to get on you a little bit - I'm a coach, that's what we have to do."

But he was good-natured about it and realized that it wasn't life and death. Which was a nice contrast to the first guy.

I know coaches like the first guy are out there, which is unfortunate. But I feel like a real official now!

And when I got home, my official papers from my state association and my patches were waiting in my mailbox! Finally!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.