Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I broke my rule recently, talking to fans....

"Oh...what DO you care about?!" to which I answered "I just care that I get out of here before 9 o'clock."

An official with a good sense of humor can't be bad, but I don't think you helped your profession by saying that you want to "... get out of here before 9 o'clock." There is a perception that since officials are paid by the game, they want to keep things as short as possible. Cynics don't need any fuel for that opinion.
It's not my profession, if it was I would starve to death (although I could stand to lose the weight ). More to the point, I tend not to worry if I might have fueled a cynics point of view in my profession, my avocation or my personal life (but I will add the response to my comment was more along the lines of "I hear ya" than it was "d@mn lazy money grubbing refs").
First off, I can't imagine anyone taking on being an official for the money. There are just too many easier ways to make more money. And, as JR said, p*ssing off the fans is in the Mechanics Manual . I might even go so far as to say that it's one of the perks of the job ! My point was, as I'm sure you realize, that the fans don't need any more stuff to add to their disrepect of the jobs that you guys/gals do.

I recently took my daughter to watch a D1 women's game, and had to listen to some "fans" yelling at the refs with idiotic comments virtually the entire game. Now these were not simply college kids, these were grown adults who probably had kids in the game. The team of officials did a great job the entire game, but it sure would have been nice for somebody - ANYBODY - to shut these morons up. And we were rooting for the same team that these guys were.