Thread: New Ref
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
SNIP
See as much baskeball as you can. If you're not workig a game, go to a HS game and watch the officials. Take your rule book so you can study the rules during the time-outs. Then talk to the officials after the game, if they're available. Ask them about a situation from the game and why they handled it as they did. Then offer to buy them a couple beers at the local watering hole. Ok, that last part is probably not as important as the other stuff, but you get the idea.
Chuck gave great advice his first 3 points about rules mechanics and appearance are right on. Don't take his last comment quoted above lightly either. It is more important that he would let on. It doesn't have to be beer, but in my neck of the woods that is the preferance. It is more about spending time with the right people. After I knew the rules and all it took spending time at the watering hole to advance my "game". Not only do you get to listen their philosophy and such, that makes them comfortable enough with you to invite you along to do their JV game or if they need a fill in you might get a shot to work with them if the situation is right. Knowing and doing the 1st 3 things is important to calling a good game, but being around the right people at the right time is almost as important..