View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Board28'er
Question

I had a situation come up in a game and would like some opinions regarding how we handled it.

Team A has the ball and A1 jacks up an NBA-type 27' 3 point shot. B1 is running towards A1 from the front and plows A1 to the ground with a deliberate push, not attempting to play the ball at all. The shot is an airball and my partner blows the whistle and signals an intentional foul on B1.

He then asks me how to adminster this. I told him 2 shots with the lane empty, and team A gets the ball on the sideline where A1 was on the court. He says it should be 3 shots and the ball since it was on a 3 point attempt. We had a quick discussion (about 20 sec.) and I mentioned that I didn't know of an exception for a 3 point shot in NFHS rules. He insisted it should be three shots, and rather than get into a long debate, I deferred and went with his decision. After reflecting on this, I think we went the wrong way, and it should be 2 shots and the ball.

Any thoughts out there? I just want to make sure if it happens again that we get it right.