View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 09:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
We had a rather ugly incident here last week. An official had some problems with a player objecting to calls during the first have of a game. I do not know the extent of what was said by either one or if a warning was given. Anyway after the horn sounds ending the second quarter, while the teams are leaving the floor and the officials are moving to the center, this player runs past this official and gives him a forearm in the back. The official said he was unsure at first if it was intentional, but when he turned around and looked the kid stopped after reaching the endline and turned back and looked directly at him and laughed.
The kid was assessed a T, but it was not deemed flagrant, so he was not disqualified. I personally disagree with this, but I wasn't there.
Anyway, my question is should this T also be charged indirectly to the head coach or not? There is a case book play which addresses something like this in the hallway, but I'm not sure we can consider the players bench personnel until they have left the court. This same casebook play has a statement to the effect that all team members are considered bench personnel during intermissions. So when does that start? At the buzzer? when they reach the bench area? etc.
I agree with you that the player should have been charged with a flagrant technical foul. Also, the official should have had the player arrested and charged with assault and battery. Now to the heart of your question. The player is considered bench personnel; think of this as just like a technical foul before the game for dunking a dead ball. The coach receives an inderect technical foul. The foul charged to the player is considered a team foul for the second half. The second half starts with the offended team shooting two free throws and the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Table.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio