View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I diagree with Bob Jenkins interpretation of what "caused" the ball to go into the backcourt. The ball hit A2 in the backcourt before it hit the ground in the backcourt. At the time of the tip by B, the ball still had frontcourt status. The ball still had frontcourt status until it was touched by A2. A2 caused it to go into the backcourt. Imagine the play if A1's crosscourt pass from the front court near the division line is batted back at him by B1 so that it bounces in the frontcourt before it hits A1, whose heel now is touching the division line. Who caused it to go into the backcourt? A1.

Now, if the ball after the tip by B had bounced in the backcourt before it was touched by A, then B would have caused it to go into the backcourt and there would be no violation.

We went through this scenario last year. I think Denucci agreed with me. Take a look at NCAA 9-11-1 at http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf. It's on page 122 of the pdf file. The Fed rule is worded differently but as far as I know, interpreted the same.

[Edited by stan-MI on Feb 3rd, 2004 at 12:30 PM]