View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hold on a minute...

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress

ONE FINAL PIECE OF ADVICE: If you are an umpire of amateur games, this coming season you should CHANGE NOTHING ABOUT YOUR ESTABLISHED ZONE.

Ah... I'm not so sure about this. The RANGE of Zones called in amateur ball (what 99% of us here do) is all over the map. But lets settle for a sec on one type. Say.. Mantle 15-16. or Varsity. Good ball.

The ML zone as it exists has permeated the mindset of the coaching ranks, and thus umpires. Yes, some of US may have been consistent with a "high" zone, but it has been too easy for too many to BALL those just above the belt fastballs, and have it be accepted.

My POINT is, is that at higher levels, those of us who EMULATED ML umps with a belt to knees zone... should.. TRY to adjust as our ML bretheran are and strive to be a bit more practical and realistic.

Or another way.. the only reason that "Crusty" in my assoc can get away with a BALL on the naval fastball is because people have seen it that way on TV (MLs). IF (and let's assume it happens) the PROs actually DO CHANGE.. then there is NO reason for Crusty to not make some minor adjustments to his zone.