View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubby

If there is one rule that I really wish they would change this would be it. It seems like so many coaches think that's what the penalty should be anyway. This would help officials out a lot. They could count the basket and not have to hand out T's. This way we wouldn't get screamed at for being right. It would be beneficial for both sides.
I'm not sure how beneficial this would really be for officials. You're going from a play where there is only one way to call it and there's not really any judgement involved- i.e. it's never BI-, to a rule where each official has to use their own judgement as to whether the whack on the backboard definitely caused the ball to spin out, and thus BI should be called. The problem, as I see it, is that there is sometimes a great disparity between the judgement of each official, possibly being due to experience, skill level, etc.

Imo, any way that judgement can be reduced or taken out of a call makes for easier and more uniform application of that particular rule by officials.