View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

First question:
Heard through the grapevine of one of our upper officials who called a T for slapping the backboard. Coach was upset because he called Basket Interference and awarded 2 points, then assessed the T for 2 more points, and then gave the other team the ball and they scored another two points. The T was their center's 5th foul.

Was this done correctly? Should BI and a T both be assesed - I'm thinking no BI.

Of course my information is second hand, but the slap ocurred during a block attempt and apparently was not showboating.

Second Question:
During free throw attempt, girls like to assume the low position with the heel of the foot which is away from the basket, pivoted so that the heel is in the air fully above the colored block (ball of foot is on the floor where it should be, heel is outside the width of their marked lane space).

Why are girls doing this? I haven't called a violation for this, what seems to be an innocuous act. It is obviously a violation per rule 9-1-9 and I have told players to place their feet properly within their lane space.

It obviously doesn't affect the shooter and I don't really see that it gains them a better rebounding position. What do they think they are gaining? Should I just call the violation (delayed) and educate them that way?

Third question:
What is the proper procedure for shooting free throws when the defense doesn't assume the post lane spaces? Case book 9.1.2 suggests they don't need to be filled for the first attempt and that the official should signal the delayed violation and only assess a Techincal foul for further delay during the substitute throw. Whereas 10.1.5 Situation C(b)suggests that before the first violation, the official should direct the team to assume the marked spaces and that if they do not, a Technical foul is immediate.

Aren't these conflicting? What is the proper action?

Girl's District Tournament starts today!
It's coming to an end...