Thread: shaq attack
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

TORONTO (ESPN.com news services) -- Shaquille O'Neal ripped the officiating in a profane post-game tirade Sunday after scoring 36 points in the Lakers' 84-83 victory over the Raptors.

Shaq went to the line 15 times Sunday, but he believes that was not nearly enough.Shaq told KCAL-TV that the fans came to watch the players, not the officials, then used the f-bomb while complaining that officials were "taking over the game.''

"My message to [commissioner] David Stern is get some people in there that understand the game and don't try to take over the game because people pay good money to see good athletes play,'' O'Neal said. "Let us play, don't be trying to take over the game."

O'Neal twice used profanities on live television in the postgame interview with KCAL-TV. When informed he was on live, O'Neal replied with a vulgarity.

He later sympathized with Vince Carter, who had a chance to win the game in the final seconds but did not get a foul call. Rick Fox and Gary Payton converged on Carter as he drove to the basket. Carter threw up the ball, thinking he had been fouled but official Luis Grillo did not call one.

Payton then ran out the clock.

"I thought the last five times I shot the ball was a foul too," O'Neal said. "He got fouled, I got fouled, and they didn't call it."

O'Neal said official Scott Foster has it in for him.

"Don't be calling bull because you don't like a guy," O'Neal said. "That guy has a clear understanding over the years that he don't like me. If you don't like a person, you can't do your job with them."

O'Neal went 13-for-20 from the field and 10-for-15 from the free-throw line.

Carter called the non-call "unreal" but would not say more.

Toronto coach Kevin O'Neill didn't want to talk about it either, but said it was a tough game to officiate.

"You have two guys, Vince and Shaq, that both think they should be fouled every time or called every time," O'Neill said.

OK fellas, thoughts?