View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Patrick:

The vernacular in this area, according to some, is in a transition phase.

In the recent past, box, modified box, scissors, and (gasp) knee, referred to stances and slot and over-the-top referred to positions.

Years ago, the AL box referred to both a stance and a position, and some baseball lexicogprahers have suggested, the word "slot" has begun to connote a stance.

In any event, I think folks know what to think when you use any of the terms in context.

As to whether your eyes at the top of the zone are too low: I would guess it depends where the top of your stike zone is.

At the training session in Arizona for the "new"strike zone, Hirschbeck noted that it was difficult for some umpires to call strikes pitches that they looked up at.(I can't believe I wrote that sentence)

This suggests to me that some umpires, at least, will be standing a little taller in their stances this year.

Richie Garcia has advocated going back to over the top in the old AL Box.

I switched back to the AL Box last season and found that I was more consistent in both the knee high strike and the outside corner, especially on a low curve. It took some explaining to keep a couple of the evaluators off my back, but when some of them saw saw a few ML umps go back over the top, they decided it was okay.