View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

As an official who is aware of all aspects of the game, I personally will call the game consistant from start to end. However after saying that there are some instances were if given the opportunity to pass on a "questionable foul" late in the game, especially if the player committing the "questionable foul" has four fouls, i will.

Another situation occurs when two players foul at the same time. If i know one of the players fouling is a "star" player and they have four fouls, i will be inclined to choose the non-star player that doesn't have four fouls. (and yes i know i could call a multiply foul!)

If an official treats the last five minutes of a game, like the first five minute they won't last very long. How many of us as officials try to call hand checking closer in the begining of the game to avoid having to call it late.? Do we change our call selection during the game? I think everyone does.

What could have a greater inpact on the outcome of a game. Calling a questionable fifth foul on a "star" player and fouling them out or not calling a questionable fifth foul and letting the "star" player determine the out-come of the game.

Don't get me wrong a stupid / hard / easy to call foul committed by the "star" player will always get called.

Understanding all aspect of the game, especially late in a ball game is (in my opinion) the officials job. Everyone remember the great plays, no one remembers the great calls.

keep smiling
SH

[Edited by hoopsrefBC on Feb 1st, 2001 at 03:29 PM]