View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 08:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Armstrong
Girls Varsity game last Tuesday, I call a foul at lead,
go to report, then take my position opposite table for
the free throws, players are on the lane, and partner has the ball, and is standing in the lane, but there is no
free thrower in the cirlce, she is standing over by the sideline, getting instructions from the coach. According to the case book, if the free thrower is not in the semi-circle when the official is ready to administer the free throw, this should be a Tech. on the player. Has anyone on here ever T'd a player for this? I walked over, and quickly broke up the conversation, and got her in the circle. What are your thoughts about this?

Over the years, I have been involved in two situations like this.

The first one was a boys' H.S. jr. varsity game back in the days when the T administered the first free throw. I was the L and we were ready to shoot the free throws. The shooter was chatting with the coach, and the coach wouldn't let him come to the line until he was done talking with the shooter. Coach received a technical foul from my partner for delay of game.

The second one was in a boys' H.S. varsity game and still in the times when the T administered the first free throw. I was the T and had just received the ball from the L. I turned to give the ball to the shooter. I told him two free throws, and before I could hand him the ball, he decided to turn from me, walk out of the free throw circle, and have a chat with a teammate. The player received a technical foul from me for delay of game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio