View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Tony - I would agree with your further example . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by bsktball_ref
Hey other BktBallRef, correct me if I am wrong here. (I'm sure you would anyway.)

By rule 4-16 he was dunking "Dunking or stuffing is the driving, forcing, pushing or attempting to force a ball through the basket with the hands"

Rule 9-11 (basket interference) has an exception. "Dunking or stuffing is legeal and is not basket interference"

Now, I have rules to back up the call. No BI. The player gets the call and bucket he deserves and no rules were ignored or set aside.

Furthermore, as far as the rule 9-11 is concerned, The player violated
Art 1. "player touches the ball or basket" but as part of a dunk attempt. =no BI
Articles 2, 3, & 4 were not violated in teh given scenario.

No BI. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm afraid that you're incorrect. The the definition of dunking. When the ball doesn't go through the basket but itinstead, goes up in the air, it's no longer a dunk and A1 can no longer touch the ball or the ring and basket after the ball enters the basket.

Consider this play:

A1 attemtps to dunk the ball and is fouled in the act of shooting. The dunk misses and bounces in the air within the imaginary cyliner. Meanwhile, A1 is hanging on the rim to protect himself. While hanging by one hand, he slams the ball home with his other hand. Is this BI?

Sure, it's BI if a player engaged in an act of ringly self-protection decides to takes advantage on the exception granted! But if he doesn't, as I say in another post, I don't think there should be any penalty ever attached to protecting yourself or others up around the rim. I see what the casebook says. I RARELY disregard 'duh rules'. Then again, I had a beard back when it could get you thrown (physically) out of bars in Southie.

BTW, I sincerely wish you would consider changing your username. It would certainly make it less confusing. You've only just arrived and it would be very easy to change your name to something more unique. I would appreciate it.