Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I was not there to see the play you described, but just because A1 was able to get his head and shoulders past B1 does not absolve him from making illegal contact against B1. B1 had obtained a legal guarding position and was not moving at the time of the contact.
I'm not disagreeing with you, Mark, but how do you reconcile your statement with NCAA 10-21.2: "When a dribbler, without contact, passes an opponent sufficiently to have head and shoulders beyond the front of the opponentÂ’s torso, the greater responsibility for subsequent contact shall be that of the opponent."

Greater responsibility.

That doesn't mean the foul is automatically charged to the defensive player. In this case, assuming A1 clearly initiated contact, you can have a player control (team control in NCAA) foul.
I'm not sure what you mean by A1 clearly initiating contact but I can't imagine what contact (within reason) A1 can initiate that would put B1 at a disadvantage in this play. Almost always B1 will shift his position once A1 gets by him, and certainly in that case he's responsible for the contact. So, IMO these plays are either block or no-call.

And FWIW, under NCAA there is still a PC foul. Just so happens that any PC foul is also a team control foul.