View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 04:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
"Coach, your ***'t is saying things that might be construed as being towards an official."
Is this Canadian grammar? I don't understand the meaning of the term "towards an official" as used here. Please explain for all of us poor users of this fractured language south of the border.
Well, my thoughts coming into this game (the championship game for this tourney) were that likely these teams had officials of varying degrees of ability. I happen to know some others that were assigned to ref this tournament and both my P and I both have more experience. Also, since this was the only game I was assigned in this tourney, I have no idea what these teams are like. For all I know, this will be a /great/ game. Should that be the case, I don't want to have to deal with an assistant later than sooner.

The assistant shouting out phrases like "3 in the key", "that's an illegal screen", "how long?" (twice) 90 seconds into the game surely had no coaching benefit, especially since I was standing, at the time, almost right in front of him. My intention when talking to the HC was to place the ball in his court if he wanted to deal withit and get the assistant to be less vocal. If the assistant didn't refrain from all the classic lines, then I would have to insist that the HC deal with it.

Thoughts?

PS: it turned out to be a great game, with the other team taking control with about 4 minutes left, and winning by 12.