Thread: Fighting
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That might be your only choice.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I would be very cautious about letting or beckoning anyone onto the floor during a fight. If the players are upset enough to be fighting the coaches are likely not calm and may not be very helpful. It would be very possible for one coach to be trying to hold his own kid back and have an opposing fighter give the player a nice slug while the coach is holding him. Who's liable now for that injury? The slugger? The coach for holding him? You for beckoning him? where is the greatest money trail? That's likely who will get sued and it is likely us.

I would do my utmost to minimize participants.
I do not think that is a valid concern. The fight is going to go on with you or without you. Your objective is to stop the fight. If a coach comes out to stop the fight, let them. You should not get involved or in the middle, because you are the one that is going to get hurt or end up holding a player that might get hit. Or worse, you might hurt someone by trying to push or pull people apart. The rules allow coaches to come onto the floor to break up fights. It has to be broken up somehow and the best adult to do it is a coach. You may not have security personnel or any adult capable to stop any action.

If you worried about getting sued, it might be tool late to split hairs at this point. The coach coming out is only going to help in most cases. If they come out an exacerbate the situation, well that is another story and you need to deal with that acordingly. If you are not directly involved in the breaking up the fight, kind of hard to get sued just for that.

Peace