Thread: Not back court
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 12:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Parents of boys are used to watching their child fall down and come up with a face full of dirt since he was a little guy. Many parents of girls haven't seen that on a daily basis since childhood. I try to keep that in mind when officiating girl's ball and hearing the ignorant chatter from the stands.

Z
And that is sad. Parents like this are, without realizing it, holding girls and women back by treating them differently on the court. It is a contact game and players will get knocked down and occasionally hurt.

A really bizarre column in the local paper here last season noted that the big conference's girls games were getting rougher -- that there were a LOT of fouls called in those games. The article acknowledged that there were a lot of fouls called but still blamed the officials for allowing rough play. Figure that one out -- the article seemed to be blaming the officials for whistling too many fouls and for having rough play simultaneously.

What's worse is when a player actually does get hurt during some isolated play, you call a foul on the play, and get blamed for it anyway. Makes you want to say, "I CALLED a foul! What else do you want me to do? Take the charge myself?"

Back to 2-man tonight. My little "vacation" working 3-man in Illinois is over for now and now I'm back to the 2-man realities of home