View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Tighten it up!

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityRef
And yet another side of the story:

...Kid from green team is upset with being fouled going in to score, I called the foul, it wasn't cheap or dirty, however he picked up the ball and threw it at the White team player, hitting him. I blew the whistle and called a T. My mistake was not ejecting this player...
Yes, that was undoubtedly a turning point. You were no longer in charge of the game. Some eighth grader was. Immediate ejection and a resounding forcefulness that this was absolutely unacceptable behavior should have been your response.

Your ejection came too late. You allowed one kid to remain in the game after committing an ejectable offense and then ejected a second kid for another ejectable offense. You stretched the rules for one, trying to keep the game going, and it cost you. You won't miss that again.

We call it "tighten it up" but truthfully it is more like call the fouls being committed - don't allow them to play through 'stuff.' If a game is heading into a tailspin, pass on nothing. Call it all; even imagine a few things if necessary - but stop the play to shoot free throws. Do not play favorites for anyone; call everything. No one enjoys this type of a game and eventually they will quit fouling or foul out.

Saw it a couple weeks ago during a D1 men's college game! For probably 3 minutes of game time there was not more than about 20 seconds of continuous play; it probably took 20 minutes for those 3 mintues of game time to elapse. Things calmed down and players recalled why they were on the court... to play ball.