View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 01:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
While I am as friendly as the next guy, I do not like to be addressed by my first name during the game, no matter how long or how well I know the coach, and for that reason, I always address a coach by calling him coach.

Last night was a case in point. I was the U2. I had never seen the two schools. I did not know who the two coaches were. I had never officiated with the other two officials. The R knew the Visitor's Head Coach pretty well. From the first foul I called (which was against the Visitor's) it seemed that every foul that the Visitor's committed was in front of me. I cannot wait to see the tape of the game because it seemed that in the first half alone, that I called 70% or more of the fouls against the Visitor's. Before the end of the first quarter I was the object of the Head Coach V's affections and he thought that we should be on a first name basis, even if it meant calling to me when I was the C opposite the Table. It was Mark this and Mark that. The only time I responded to him was to ask "30 seconds or full, Coach?" Finally, with 7:18 left in the fourth quarter, at the 7:18 mark of the fourth quarter, I was the C directly in front of him. He asked me a question, and I gave him a short direct answer while keeping my back to him. Without going into detail, because I have to right my OhioHSAA Game Report this afternoon, two direct technical fouls were charged to him in very short order.

Even though we worked pretty well as a 3-man crew, the ejection just left a sour tasted in my mouth for the two hour drive home at 10pm at night.
I hope you'll share some details once your report is filed. Or drop me an email

I worked a game last night where both coaches thought they were being screwed. Visiting team very aggressive and picks up 10+ fouls in about 10 minutes of play. Home team had 3 fouls at the time they started shooting 2 for the double bonus. Partners were a bit tighter than I'm used to, but the V team should've adjusted earlier than they did. I think I called 2 of those 10 fouls and they were both no brainer calls.

At 7-2, he starts in with the disparity -- I tell him I'm not counting the fouls and he says that HE has to with a smile, which brought a smile to my face. Later in the half I call a foul from C with him right in my back -- an obvious foul where his player went for a steal at the top of the key and came across both of A's arms in the process. As I'm reporting he's asking me what his kids need to do.....and before I go over to C I reply, "Stop fouling." I didn't stick around to see whether he smiled that time.

The V team adjusts in the second half and blows out the H team. NOW the home team's coach is complaining that we're letting up on calling fouls on the V team because the coach was working us. I swear they go to some kind of school to learn this behavior.