View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 01:01pm
Administrator

While I am as friendly as the next guy, I do not like to be addressed by my first name during the game, no matter how long or how well I know the coach, and for that reason, I always address a coach by calling him coach.

Last night was a case in point. I was the U2. I had never seen the two schools. I did not know who the two coaches were. I had never officiated with the other two officials. The R knew the Visitor's Head Coach pretty well. From the first foul I called (which was against the Visitor's) it seemed that every foul that the Visitor's committed was in front of me. I cannot wait to see the tape of the game because it seemed that in the first half alone, that I called 70% or more of the fouls against the Visitor's. Before the end of the first quarter I was the object of the Head Coach V's affections and he thought that we should be on a first name basis, even if it meant calling to me when I was the C opposite the Table. It was Mark this and Mark that. The only time I responded to him was to ask "30 seconds or full, Coach?" Finally, with 7:18 left in the fourth quarter, at the 7:18 mark of the fourth quarter, I was the C directly in front of him. He asked me a question, and I gave him a short direct answer while keeping my back to him. Without going into detail, because I have to right my OhioHSAA Game Report this afternoon, two direct technical fouls were charged to him in very short order.

Even though we worked pretty well as a 3-man crew, the ejection just left a sour tasted in my mouth for the two hour drive home at 10pm at night.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio