View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
If the ball is on the floor in front of you, I guess you can refuse to pick it up. I wouldn't want to be a ball retriever. As you are watching the players, and a kid is holding the ball, I guess you shouldn't ask for it, I wouldn't want to be a ball retriever.

Well, obviously we didn't understand each other, Bart. I would not consider bending down to pick up the ball to be "retrieving" the ball. I was not trying to impugne your skills, Bart. My point was merely that we don't want officials to be following the ball underneath the bleachers, or behind the popcorn stand to get the ball.

Maybe you don't think it needs to be said, and so I'm sorry for wanting to state the obvious. Really. But I've seen officials (even experienced officials) do these things. So I thought it was a point that worth making. Again, I was only trying to stress the importance of dead ball officiating. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.