View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
If I see my partner calls a T and my other partner is meeting with the official who called the T, then I will procede to retrieve the ball and go to the basket where we will shoot.
Bart, if your partners are in a discussion and you're retrieving the ball. . . who's watching the players?

Officials should NOT be ball retrievers. A player or cheerleader or fan or somebody will get it, even if you have to ask them to do so. Keep your eyes on players -- dead ball officiate!
Its funny, I actually typed the line " of course I'm watching the players as I am retrieving the ball", when I first posted my reply. Then I erased it, because I didn't think it needed to be said. "Ball retrieving" If the ball is on the floor in front of you, I guess you can refuse to pick it up. I wouldn't want to be a ball retriever. As you are watching the players, and a kid is holding the ball, I guess you shouldn't ask for it, I wouldn't want to be a ball retriever. I guess it needs to be said, I don't go running down the court or down the hall to retrieve the ball with my back to the players.
I don't know about your conversations with you partner after calling a T, but our conversations are usually very brief, maybe takes about 5-7 seconds. So, yes I do procede to keep things moving. And yes, IF there is a need to stand in the middle of players, until action dictates i can move on, then I will stay put, But, uaually you can keep things moving.