View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

When I am hard up for cash I call more games, but money is not the reason I umpire. Money may be the difference in whether I call a 50 game year or a 250 game year. You reach a point where the fun reduces and money becomes a more important issue. If things are going well, many will reduce their gamecount and use ump fees as WAM (walk around money).

I don't think you ever take all the fun out of it. I'm tired of hearing umps talk about all the money they put into gear, etc. Relative to the payback it is very little. I don't know of many jobs that pay you to come and go from work or for your time of doing it---don't expect it of baseball. But when unps want to figure their net they throw all that in as cost. That's BS. All in all I figure umpiring may pay approx $15-$20 per hour of field time. Pretty good pay to do something you like doing---and most are doing part time. Possibly better that getting paid twice that if you'd be doing something you hated doing. Outstanding for part time, but very difficult if you plan on officiating alone as a source of income. Just like professional sport pays well, so does professional officiating, but when you take that next step down in either don't expect to live well if that's all you are doing. If you ain't at the top, you better be lookin at it as part time.

I haven't read Pete's article, but I don't think pay is the issue. I think it's an attitude in society. Generally speaking, I don't think today's youth respects authority as much as the generation previous. I suspect the same was true when I was a youth. My parents' generation likly had more respect for authority than my generation. So, who really wants to put themself in a position of authority when you know that position, historically, has to make decisions that are going to be criticized. Today's umpire, therefore, will likely have to take much more guff than yesterday's umpire--not just from the kids but from the fans also. Increasing pay is not necessarily the answer (although it can help).

Additionally, there are likely many more recreational activities available to people. Society today is not what it was 40 years ago. With those additional options, sports may not have the stronghold it once did in society's recreation. Although it pays well for part time, there are many additional options available to eat up someones spare time.

Just my opinion,