View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock'nRef
I had two interesting situations in games this week involving the timing of a whistle and wanted to run it by everyone for comment.

Situation #1:
My partner is at baseline (table side) to administer throw-in. I'm near half-court(opposite table) due to full court press. It was loud in the gym but I hear the coach of the in-bounding team yell for a timeout. Whenever I blow my whistle for a timeout, my partner blows his at exactly the same time for a 5 second throw-in violation. Who has precedence in this situation. I backed off and let my partner control the call(he was the referee). After further thought, I felt that we should have discussed it and probably give the coach the timeout. Your thoughts??
You should have unless you absolutely knew, which was first. But you should have run to him and said, "I had a timeout, which might have been first?"

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock'nRef

Situation #2: (Different game)
Five seconds left in first quarter. Team A inbounds ball and is being pressed. A player from Team B comes over and gives Player A1 (who is dribbling) a pretty good wack. I blow my whistle exactly at the same time the horn blows to end the quarter. Count the foul??? I let it go, but after further thought, I know that the foul happened a split second before the horn sounded. Your thoughts??

Would it have affected the outcome of the game? If not, you probably did right to just let it go. If it did and you were sure, you need to sell that call. But again, be 100% sure it was first. You do not want to be wrong about that call.

Peace