View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 12:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question here's a variation

What if the player who threw an elbow was a different offensive player, say one who was setting a screen? You judge the contact to be more than "normal for a personal foul" but short of being flagrant. Do you think you could call an intentional personal foul in this situation?

I guess my question is based on the information I got at two different camps the year the NF added the "going for the ball but causing excessive contact" part to the intentional foul rule. We were told that now we could use the intentional foul call like the NBA used their "flagrant level 1" call - more contact than a normal foul, but not enough to eject a player. But the discussions always centered around making this call against a defensive player, never an offensive one.

What do you think? Can you "legally" use the intentional call against an offensive (not a player in player control) player if you think the contact was between a normal personal foul but fell short of being flagrant?

Please cite rule to support, and don't use the "swinging elbows is a technical" exception. The contact wouldn't have to be an elbow, maybe a hard moving screen. Thanks.