Thread: Rule changes?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
In basketball, you're never very far away from either coach. If we're running a play from inside the 5 yard lines (let's say the 1 yard line with 4th and goal and 3 seconds left in the game) and one of the coaches is screaming for a TO, either the play goes off and somebody is unhappy because their TO wasn't granted, or somebody has to avert their eyes from their area of responsibility to see who is calling a time out. If the coach feels he has to run out of the team box to get an official's attention, what then?

I don't recall any groundswell of support for such a change so it is curious to me as to why it popped up now. Was this something that had been on the table for years and now had some traction? Anybody in the know, please advise.
ABoselli, yep we aren't far away. The difference however is that in basketball they can call TO during live ball periods..so we do have to avert our eyes during live ball action. One explanation in the differences in our opinion is this, I don't work in any location where you can't hear a coach yell if you are on the 5 yard line. I can see this being a problem in the more urban areas, but here in Wyoming we can hear the Howler Monkeys from anywhere on the field, unfortunately sometimes LOL...