View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
My answer is under the NCAA code. As I mentioned, following a very similar play in the Peach Bowl in 2001-2002, an AR was written (AR 7-3-6-X) which defines the act by the airborne player as a "bat" even though he clearly had ball in grasp. Forward passes can be batted in any direction, fumbles cannot be batted forward.
The original scenario stated that B-94 "pitches the ball forward to B-74," asking if it was an illegal forward pass. You have established that a)the act by airborne B-94 was a bat, not a pass, and b)the loose ball was still a fumble, and c)under NCAA rules a fumble cannot be batted forward.

I am assuming that by "forward to B-74" Mr. ares meant "toward the goal line being defended by Team A."

Since the ball was still in Team A possession at the time of the bat by B-94, would not that bat be considered backward, not forward? Therefore it would have been legal under both codes and B gets to keep the ball at A's 39? Or is the "forward" direction of the bat established by the player who batted the fumble, not the team in possession?

Just curious.