View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 08:27am
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Yikes!

Quote:
Originally posted by OPTIPLEX2001
Quote:
A timer should not do anything until the Official tells him so, not trying to be high and mighty, but the official signals to the time keeper when to start/stop game clock and when to start timing a timeout.
That's not the way I, or anyone else at our school operates. After I see what time-out it is (whether be 30 or full), once I see it, I punch it in, whether or not the players are there. BTW, if the timer shouldn't do anything unless the official signals him to, a lot of field goals wouldn't be shown...

Here's why you have to wait until told by the official to start a timing situation:

Time-outs: Official recognizes that a Team A's request for a TO and sounds his whistle. The official then goes to the reporting area near the S/T Table and is told by the Head Coach A whether he wants a full or 30 sec. TO (at least in theory that is how that part is supposed to work). The official then announces to the Head Coach B the type of TO.
The official then announces to the Scorer: Team A TO, full/30 sec. by the Coach/Player no., and then signals the Timer to start the TO.

Disqualified Player: After the Scorer notifies the Official of a A1's disqualification, the Official notifies Head Coach A of A1's disqualification the notifies his partner of A1's disqualification, and then the Official finaly has the Timer start the 30 sec. TO.

Injured Player: The Official does not signal the Timer to start the 30 sec. TO until the injured player has been completely removed from the court. If it takes 15 minutes before the player can be removed from the court, his coach does not have to make any decision to replace him until after the player has been removed from the court.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio