View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPTIPLEX2001
3 things -
1- We're not talking about a 30 second timeout here. When a player fouls out, the coach has 30 seconds to replace him. The timer starts the 30 seconds when the official tells him to.

E-X-A-M-P-L-E: (excuse me for being cynical, but I'm like that)[/quote]

When a player fouls out, the official will inform the coach and then inform the player. He will then tell the timer to let him know when 30 second expire. This also applies when a player must be replaced due to injury or an equipment violation, such as the shirt tail hanging out.

Quote:
2- And since we're at it, on a 30 second or full timeout, you don't start the timeout until the official tells you to do so. The timeout doesn't start until the players get to their bench. So when you start the 30 seconds or 1 minute "whether or not the players are there," you are wrong to do so

Didn't I say that already? From me:

After I see what time-out it is (whether be 30 or full), once I see it, I punch it in, whether or not the players are there

I meant after the official tells me what it is.
The official should tell you when to start the TO and he shouldn't do that until all players have made their way to their benches. You indicated that you started the TO clock whether or not the players were there, which would be incorrect.

Quote:
3- The score that you put on the scoreboard doesn't mean anything. The scorebook is the official score. You should post scores based on what the scorer does, not what the official does.
Quote:

However, whoever takes in the winning/losing team refers to the scoreboard. I'm not saying your wrong, because your not, but the scoreboard is even what the bookkeeper will refer to.

If you have a scorer that's referring to the scoreboard to keep the book, then the officials at that game will have a huge problem sooner or later. The scorebook is the official record of the game. It doesn't matter what score the timer puts on the scoreboard. The timer's main responsibility is to keep the clock, not the score. Obviously, the score needs to be accurate but if there's a discrepancy, the officials wil go the running score in the scorebook.

Quote:
It doesn't work like that. We don't do things just because it makes everyone happy. If you don't understand that, then you might want to consider just reading and asking questions, rather than making comments like that. I'm not trying to be ugly, just offering a little advice.
Quote:

You don't understand me. I meant that redoing the ENTIRE play, from where the mistake was made, would be the easiest thing to do, and it would also make everyone happy. The everyone happy part is just a little bonus.

I understand you perfectly, which is why I'm trying to explain to you why you're wrong. We can't re-do the entire thing. We have rules that we have to go by when things like this happen. The rules do not allow us to ignore what happened in a situation like this, no matter how easy it may seem.

Keep reading and learning Matthew.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith