View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Clay,

A lot of officiating is about attitude. Have you ever heard the expression "check your ego at the door?"

First of all, the letter your assignor sent you was probably an honest evaluation on his part. IMHO, you should have thanked him for trying to help you by telling you what you needed to get up to the varsity level.

The "home boy club?" Sounds like a name for the best officials in your group by those who are jealous and not willing to put in the time and effort to get there.

I'm sure that I am one of many, many officials who got their first ever varsity game years ago as a "replacement" for someone who was sick or injured. I looked at is an opportunity and never looked back. You looked at it as an insult and kicked the gift horse in the mouth. I'm suprised the assignor didn't tell you to shove your entire officiating career up your ***.

We're supposed to be in this for the kids. Even today, if our assignor called and needed help on a game of any level (yep, even junior high), I would gladly do it if I was available. And yep, I would work it just as hard as any varsity game.

Z