View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcooley66
My partner who was the "Referee", and a "Big Time College" official, overturned my decision and gave Team A the ball for the throw in to start the second period. I didn't agree with him, but didn't want to argue with him in front of both teams. We talked about it at half time, and he told me that as soon as Team B had the ball for the throw in, they had established '"Team Control" (?????????????), and that at that time the arrow was to be reversed.
I am sure that Chuck or someone will be along soon to confirm or correct this. I believe that the college rule says that there is team control when the ball is at the disposal for a throw in. This being the case he was correct at the college level, obviously in error at the high school level.

[/B][/QUOTE]How would you have handled this situation? [/B][/QUOTE]

We occasionally have this problem with a football official we work with, who also works D-1. We get along well with him and when he trys to impart college rules on a high school game we gently or maybe not so gently remind him that we aren't playin on Saturday, and to get back to our rules...he takes it well and we move on...depending on your relationship with this guy you could do that or politely remind him of the rules difference. Considering the situation I think you did just fine.