View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Last night in boys varsity game, I had this happen. On the jump ball to start the game, Team A secures posession of the tapped ball and the arrow is set towards Team B. About three quarters of the way through the first quarter, there is a held ball. My partner is handling the administartion of the insuing throw in for Team B. Ball is at the disposal of Team B, but has not yet been inbounded, when B1 sets an illegal screen and is called for the foul. Foul is administered and we go on with the game. To start the second period, I noticed that the arrow was pointing towards Team A. The table motioned for me to come over to discuss the arrow. I told them that the arrow shouldn't have been switched to Team A, because there was a foul prior to the alternating posession throw in ending. Therefore Team B should be getting the ball out of bounds. My partner who was the "Referee", and a "Big Time College" official, overturned my decision and gave Team A the ball for the throw in to start the second period. I didn't agree with him, but didn't want to argue with him in front of both teams. We talked about it at half time, and he told me that as soon as Team B had the ball for the throw in, they had established '"Team Control" (?????????????), and that at that time the arrow was to be reversed. Therefore, Team B had lost their opportunity to have the alternating posession throw in. To avoid conflict, I just agreed with him and went with his interpretation, although I knew he was wrong. How would you have handled this situation? To my knowledge, the only way to lose the arrow on an alternating throw in is by a violation from the team throwing in the ball. A foul prior to the throw in ending doesn't cause a team to lose the arrow. Am I right or wrong?