View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 06:38pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Official 1 comes to the table reports the foul and tells the team A coach that A1 has 5 fouls. A1 walks over and stands by the team A bench but is still on the floor. For some reason, official 1 doesn't ask for a 30 sec. clock but instead proceeds to take his position as trail to shoot the free throws.

Here is mistake #1, as we all know. Actually, mistakes #1 and #2. First, he doens't ask for 30 seconds and wait for the sub. Second, he never tells the player that he has fouled out (you should do this after you tell the coach, by rule).

No sub in the game. Official 2 proceeds to announce the 1 and 1 and bounces the ball to B1. Official 1 does nothing. B1 shoots the first free throw and misses. A2 rebounds and throws the ball to A1 who drives in, is fouled by B1 but still proceeds to dunk the ball and then does a chin up on the rim. You guessed it, Official 1 calls the foul on B1 and then a "T" on A1.

Nothing wrong with this. The basket, foul on B1, and technical on A1 should all count.

As he goes to the table, he is met by the team B coach who is SCREAMING that A1 fouled out on the previous play and that the dunk shouldn't count and that his player (B1) should get to re-attempt his 1 and 1 and that there should be a "T" for having an illegal player in the game.

Do I even need to comment on this? We all should know that this coach is WAY off - none of this is correct.

The official tells Team B coach to "sit down and shut up while he confers with his partner".

Friendly officiating hint #1: When you just caused everything to get FUBAR - you shouldn't be telling anyone to shut-up.

The two officials get together and this is what they decide to do. They wipe out the basket by A1 and the foul by B1 (B's best player and this would have been his fifth).

Can't do this. The only situation in which wiping a basket and a foul is allowed by rule is after a made free-throw in which case the wrong team takes the ball out-of-bounds. There is no other situation in which you can make this ruling.

They rule that because the play should not have happened (i.e. a sub was not brought into the game) the ball was and remained dead after the first foul call on A1. They assess a technical foul to A1 for dunking a dead ball and a technical foul to Team A for unspotsmanlike conduct for having a disqualified player participate in the game.

It should not have happened, but they can't wipe everything off because of their mistake. They are on iffy ground concerning the second technical for a disqualified player participating. If I remember correctly the rule book says something about the player knowingly participating - in which this case, he didn't (because they never told him he fouled out).

Of course, they told the coach, but then promptly walked off. I think that the prudent and common sense thing to do here is NOT assess the technical foul (this would be the only one that was indirect against the coach, if they did call it, btw).

They decide to resume by having B1 re-attempt his 1 and 1. They call B1 to the free throw line and allow him to shoot his 1 and 1 and he makes both (A-53, B-53).

Makes no sense whatsoever. You are giving B another chance to make a free throw that they don't deserve. This is not a correctable error.

Team A coach (not to mention the fans and the varsity coach)is going nuts "you guys screwed up", etc. yelling profusely. Official 2 "T"s coach of Team A and tells him because of the two previous "T"s this "T" causes his ejection.

I get mad when I know the coach is right too, but you shouldn't throw him out for it!

After a delay in which they threaten to end the game if the Team A coach doesn't leave, the coach is led away by the AD,

Never, never, never make threats.

they shoot 6 free throws for the technicals, and needless to say, B goes on to win the game.

Can anyone say "cluster"?!?

When I tried to talk to these guys in the locker room, they adamantly defended their position so I quickly shut my mouth and left. The review I turned into the rating committee was not flattering to say the least.

Unbelievable... This is usually how it is though. These guys have no clue as to the rules, which is why they had to make things up as they go along.

I'm all for common-sense officiating, but if you don't have a basis (the rules) then you are unable to use common sense.

Can you imagine getting in a plane and flying it using "common sense"??? I'm sure that there are some situations that call for it, but if you don't know the nitty-gritty technical details to begin with, how can you rely on common-sense???