View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Situation: 3rd/4th graders; had great pregame with coaches and captains, including stressing sportsmanship. We went into Triple Overtime, which is a Sudden Death situation in this little league.

While in 3OT, A1 & B1 rebound and I call for a jumpball, then "let it go!" A1 let's go, but B1 "strongly snatches" the ball, then "mugs" A1. I give a stern warning to B1 for unsportsmanlike conduct so loud that the entire gym could hear it.

The reason I gave just a warning instead of an automatic technical for taunting/unspt.cond. (no one was hurt, etc)was because it was a really exciting game: benches into it, crowd into it, we were into it, etc. and I didnt think the contest should be ended because of a technical foul. Team A didn't dispute it, even though I know they had every right to do so.

Did I do the right thing? What would you do?

BTW, Team A won by FT b/c of a shooting foul.
When you have a tie-up in that situation it is a good idea to close in whistle blaring.The kids will react to the whistle hurting their ears and turn away and will stop wrestling for the ball.

To answer your question,I'll throw one back at you.Would you have called it in the first period? Remember at that age they are learning what they can and can't do,so we always need to send the right message,so if you would have called it in the 1st,you need to in OT.