View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Why in the world does the league have overtimes in the first place? You are talking about a bunch of 8 and 9 year olds here. How long are the regular quarters and the overtime periods? My bet would be that B1 and a lot of other kids were mighty cranky by the time the 3 rd OT rolled around. For kids that age the game should end in a tie.
Minor nit...several of the kids might be 10...several kids turn 10 in the 4th grade.

I have no problem with OT's at this age. I think that a little tension is good for kids to experience if done right. They can learn a lot of things under the right guidance. Also, some leagues I've done in the past have a tie after 1 or 2 OT's so it doesn't go on forever.

I had one, several years ago, that went to OT at a score of 8 to 8. No one scored in the OT. Schedule was backed up and both coaches suggested/agreed to end with a tie at that point. Fine with me.

Length of quarter may not matter either. It depends on how many kids are on a squad and if they have a participation rule (which I agree with at that age). If they have less than 10 players, I'd hope they used 6 minute quarters. If much more than 10 players, they could play 8 minute quarters without a problem. Overtimes should be no more than 3 minutes.