Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Not sure. Explain this more: "mugs" A1.
i]Originally posted by RecRef [/i]

5 regulation periods, 8min running clock; 1OT 2min running clock; 2OT 1min running clock; 3OT Sudden Death.

By "mug" I meant a "haha-neener-neener" face (taunting), but I was more concerned of the body language that came along with it, the snatching, even though I told them to let go for their own safety. Otherwise, if A1 would have still held on to the ball, he would have been judo-dropped by a snatch by B1 like that. While there was not any contact, that was very unsportsmanlike.

While I respect your comment, RR, that was not the message I sent to B1 or anyone else in the gym. But you might be right, maybe I should have T'ed him up. Maybe I did have a bad judgment call, but again, I didn't want the game to be decided by an official, but rather the players that worked hard to tie it up in the first place. Chalk it up to experience and do better next time.

BTW, was congratulated by league president and other officials who were there for calling an exciting game. Asked her feedback about the situation and received, "would have done the same."

IMHO - Even with a running clock that is too much game time for little kids.

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think that you handled it poorly since there was no contact. What you saw is a common form of playground behavior. I’d also let it pass with an admonishment.

An old ref once told me that when you call a jump ball you should all but get directly into the face of the players when making the call. This takes the wind out of most tussles.