View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

My question is where do these assignors go to stay abreast of the rules?

Camps and rules meeting.

How often do they say *uck what the casebook says?

Campers are there to listen, Not say "ya but". So, the subject of casebook doesn't come up.

Do they actually say if you handle it like the interp says, you won't get many games in my group?

The closest I come to this is, don't be a rule book official. You may be the best at calling traveling in the country, but you won't be working some leagues.

Are they openly expressing disdain for a Fed ruling during meetings, camps, clinics?

NO

Do they only express their philosophies on general things like 3 seconds, intentional fouls, bench decorum, etc. or does it apply to all rules?

What ever the subject happens to be and if it is necessary to give their philosophy.

Are any of y'all able to have input into these philosophies?

Not at camps. Listen and say OK.

If any of y'all are leaders of your group, do you actually say ignore the casebook on this particular ruling?

No. When explaining a play, we don't say, "the case book says", we just tell them how to handle it. But, it may very well be based on the case book. If someone said something that was contrary to the case book, it was only because they were not knowledgeable of the rule/case.