View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
I finally had a game that I thought went pretty well. Not an "in the zone" game but one where I felt comfortable and in control, and had very little uncertainty with any of my calls/no calls. A big confidence boost for a beginner. My partner was fairly experienced, and he didn't do anything I thought was poor. I was feeling fine with it all. He said the same afterward.

Now the down side. I heard more complaints than in any of my previous games, and from all sides: fans/parents, coaches and players. My partner was stopped before leaving the court to hear it from a coach, all the while getting it from a fan. All of this together took the luster off what I felt was my best outing.

This was a girls freshman game between neighboring school districts. Tough defense all the way along. Final score was 22-19 in favor of the visitors.

I'm sure the intensity of the game was responsible for a lot of the chirping. It did seem to come mostly from the home side. Considering they lost, too, I'm pretty sure it was emotion rather than a reflection of our performance. My mind is saying good job. My heart is not letting me enjoy a game well done.

I'm scheduled back at that school twice more, including another game with the same team. If there is any encouragement you can send my way, I hope to channel it into an even better game next time out.

Just grumbling.
Hartsy
I always say,"If everyone is on you,you probably did a good job!" LOL

Seriously,if both you and your partner thought there was little that you wished you'd have done differently,you did a good job.

Take pride in the fact that you are self-critical,because that is what will make you better.Remember the times that
you leave the court to,"Good game ref,thanks," don't happen
as much as we would like,so keep working to get better and don't sweat the fans and coaches.