View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I finally had a game that I thought went pretty well. Not an "in the zone" game but one where I felt comfortable and in control, and had very little uncertainty with any of my calls/no calls. A big confidence boost for a beginner. My partner was fairly experienced, and he didn't do anything I thought was poor. I was feeling fine with it all. He said the same afterward.

Now the down side. I heard more complaints than in any of my previous games, and from all sides: fans/parents, coaches and players. My partner was stopped before leaving the court to hear it from a coach, all the while getting it from a fan. All of this together took the luster off what I felt was my best outing.

This was a girls freshman game between neighboring school districts. Tough defense all the way along. Final score was 22-19 in favor of the visitors.

I'm sure the intensity of the game was responsible for a lot of the chirping. It did seem to come mostly from the home side. Considering they lost, too, I'm pretty sure it was emotion rather than a reflection of our performance. My mind is saying good job. My heart is not letting me enjoy a game well done.

I'm scheduled back at that school twice more, including another game with the same team. If there is any encouragement you can send my way, I hope to channel it into an even better game next time out.

Just grumbling.
Hartsy