Thread: Tie up? (NCAA)
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Here's the situation from a men's college game this afternoon. A4 goes in for a lay up, B5 gets a clean block. The ball never left A4'a hand and he came down with the ball. I was C and the play was in my primary. I immediately called a jump ball when A4 came back to the floor.

After the game, one of my partners agrees with the call and the other doesn't. The latter says they both had to come back down with the ball in order to call a jump ball. I'm pretty sure I got it right. The rule book definition of a jump ball seems to support my interpretation. Any thoughts.
"A.R. 27. A1 jumps for a try for field goal. B1 jumps to defend against the try and (a)
touches the ball before it leaves A1’s hand and A1 returns to the floor with the ball
and the ball never loses contact with A1’s hand(s) or (b) the ball loses contact with
A1’s hand(s), A1 retrieves the ball while in the air and returns to the floor in possession
of the ball and begins to dribble or (c) after the ball touches the floor, A1 recovers
the ball and begins to dribble. RULING: In (a), the official shall call a held ball. In
(b) and (c), the play shall be legal. A1 has gained a new possession in both instances." (NCAA 4-35)