View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dahlia Weinzoff
I am looking for some direction, possible a rule book, website, citation, etc.

According to the Upper Saddle River basketball association, there is no rule book. What about the referee training? My daughter ref'd soccer and said that she would not be able to ref her fathers game unless the other coach agreed before the game.

I'd appreciate any help you can give us.
Thanks
Dahlia
Upper Saddle River
Bergen County, New Jersey
Dahlia

True, all is best if the officials are not related to the players or coaches. But in recreational league game refs are much harder to come by than coaches. What your husband needs to learn is that under no circumstances should he be yelling at teen aged refs during 8th grade rec league games. Bad bad bad. Those kids should be congratulated for "taking care of business", your husband just needs to calm down and enjoy himself during these games. If I was responsible for training those refs I would be quite proud of how they handled this.

FWIW, my older son spent time reffing these types of games as a teen (still a teen but currently too wrapped up in other things to ref right now). He T'ed a coach who then complained to the league director. The director told him if he's going to yell at kids during a rec game then he doesn't want him as a coach and he was kicked out of the league. Keep this in mind.