View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am looking for some direction, possible a rule book, website, citation, etc.

My husband coached our 8th grade son in a local recreation basketball league. There were two teenage officials. One official was the opposing coaches son. (His wife kept the book). We feel the game was not called fairly. One of our players was knocked to the ground and hit in the face. My husband raised his voice two times to protest calls. (one was with 30 seconds left and it was a one point game). He was given two technical fouls by the coaches refereee son, ejected from the game, and suspended from coaching two games.

According to the Upper Saddle River basketball association, there is no rule book. What about the referee training? My daughter ref'd soccer and said that she would not be able to ref her fathers game unless the other coach agreed before the game.

We are just looking to write a letter protesting what happened, and are looking for some offical game or referee related rule that we can cite.

My husband is a well respected coach and was appalled with the refs behavior. He was ejected from the gym with 30 seconds left of play, a 1 point game, as my husband was walking out of the gym and another father was walking to the coaches area, the coaches wife who is keeping the book, told her son the ref that one of our players had five fouls. She did not tell anyone on our team, the player did not know, and next thing you know, the other team spent the last half minute shooting teachnical fouls shots to win the game.

I'd appreciate any help you can give us.
Thanks
Dahlia
Upper Saddle River
Bergen County, New Jersey