View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
This issue came up in a recent thread. A poster indicated (in italics . . . I just can't find it) that he would locate a time out at the point in the action a coach called for it, even though there might be a little delay in blowing the whistle (time taken to identify that it is the head coach who is calling for the time out and to be certain the coach's team has player control).

I am concerned that 'stuff' could happen in that interval. I have had times when I was unwilling, because of what was going on right in front of me, to turn my head to be sure it was the coach making the time out request. A second, maybe two may elapse in these circumstances, in my experience.

I had a call tonight from an official reporting just this kind of problem. The coach wanted time put back on the clock because, in his opinion, the official did not respond instantly to his time out request. (He didn't attribute the 'delay' to the timer - who was his guy . . .). The officials just politely declined.

What do y'all think?
I was the infamous italicizing poster on that one, I believe. My point was only meant in regards to game situation (i.e., who had the ball). I would not add any time back onto the clock. While that may seem a little inconsistent, we never add time back onto the clock for any "lag time" between recognizing any violation or foul and blowing the whistle. To do so for time outs would open a can of worms that nobody wants to deal with. Nor is there any rule, case, or interp basis for such an action. I think the officials did exactly the right thing by politely declining.