Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Contact lenses

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
Not quoting rule book .....

Glass's and contacts dislodged get a stop. Nothing else. Referee timeout. More so in the lower levels. Higher levels don't stop a play in progress but at the first "fair" break in play.

When you check the book at the ten minute mark before the game begins, you should ask each coach to put in the book contact lenses and inhalers by each player's name who uses them. If that is done and you have an incident where a player loses a lens or has an asthma attack, you do not have to charge a TO to team whose player may be involved. If they have not put them in the book, then you will have to charge a TO to the team. The importance of this cannot be overstated because in the late stages of a very close game a team that does not list these things could be charged a timeout when they don't have any timeouts left which could then result in the team being assessed a technical foul. Or on the other hand, if you have an unscrupulous, savy coach, he/she may have a player act like he/she has lost a lens during a close games if he feels he needs a timeout and he doesn't want to use the one he has left in an attempt to save it for the end of the game.
Yo Willie...do you do this really? I mean really? I dunno...life's complicated enough for me...if a coach or player is this clever let him have the freebie.

FWIW...last month I had a juco game where a player was fouled, after I report instead of going to the line he goes to the bench. As he passed me he told me he lost a lense on the foul (he was hit in the face). The opposing coach starts in on me "you can't let him do that! he's got to go to the line now or come out!" I simply said "coach, he lost a contact lense" and the coach sat down. Now...what if he ran to the book demanding to see where the little "c" for contact lense was next to his name?