Thread: Here's a play
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would allow a replay of the down if I was doing a level 8th grade or down, simply because the fans and coaches are more accepting of a mistake by the refs because they realize that the refs are, like the kids, learning the basics. In a high school game, you absolutely can not replay it. If the refs don't know the basics, they shouldn't even be working high school level games in the first place. I acknowledge that errors will always occur, but when doing varsity games MUST have solid knowledge of the rules because, let's face it, even at the HS level more is on the line than just a game (coach's jobs, AD jobs, playoffs, scholarships, town pride, etc.). Officials working this level and up are, and should be, expected to take the game seriously enough to have a thorough understanding of the rules.
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi