Thread: Here's a play
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

NO DO OVERS!!!!

Another good reason for officials to maintain a formal relationship (vs. informal) on their sideline and to keep their mouths shut unless 110% sure of a rule. I find that I get in trouble faster when the coach is trying to be my buddy (calling me by first name, chatting between plays, etc.) Nothing wrong with good sideline communication. In fact, last season, that was my primary area of focus to improve my game. However, it must remain a business relationship.

We all have some blind spots in our rules knowledge. Knowing where those are, studying to eliminate them, and keeping our mouths shut when unsure of the proper rule is a basic mechanic we can all benefit from.

And, no do-over's. Whatever lumps you take, you take as a team. We cannot placate a coach, fans, announcers, whatever by performing outside of the rules to fix our mistakes. If we can fix our mistakes within the rules, fine. If not, our crew takes a lump and we make sure it doesn't happen again.

Repeat this 100 times and send it in an email to all of your coaches: "We are not perfect. Periodically, we make mistakes. Don't try this at home"