View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Last night I had to T up two Asst Coaches trying to be Bobby Knight. In both instances the coaches jumped off the bench and yelled at the top of their lungs at my partner.

Well, when I got home I was telling my 17 year old son (who plays HS B-Ball) what happened and he said "Dad I know they didn't yell at you". I replied no, but why do you say that and he asks "were they White Coaches", I said yes, "with White players" I say yes "and was your partner White" I say yes, my son ended, "they are not going to yell and scream at a Black Referee because they are afraid of how you might react". It made me think for a minute and you know, noone has yelled or screamed in my face, YET!

Since I'm new to officiating is this somewhat true?
Had sort of the reverse in a game on Tuesday. 3-person crew -- white male (me), white female, black male (the R). Coach was black and was all over the black official (20+ year veteran and good official) and would basically only talk to the female. Don't think he ever spoke to me. The R finally gave him the "stop sign". I thought he should have T'd him earlier. This coach has a reputation of "working black officals", for whatever reason. Have seen him do this on more than one occassions and he does it to some of the most laid-back black officials you could ever work with. Coach has a definite problem, but I can't imagine why he does this.