View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc-WI
Another situation this often occurs in is when a passer intentionally grounds the ball near the end of a half. Was it to save yardage or stop the clock?? Again, hard to judge intent, but in those situations the team that committed the illegal act has gained a signifigant timing advantage if the clock remains stopped until the snap. In those types of plays, I've usually started the clock on the ready.
Even if you don't flag for intentional grounding?
REPLY: No...you must have a flag on the ground if you intend to apply NF 3-6-3. It says, "When a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally, the referee shall order the clock started or stopped." About ten years ago or so the word "illegally" was added because of referees "abusing" 3-6-3 and applying it even when a team used a perfectly legal means of conserving or consuming time.

And I agree with Doc and mcrowder. You must give the benefit of the doubt to the offended team in situations like this. Whether OSU's false start was intentional or not is immaterial in my opinion. They used an illegal act in a manner that would consume time.