View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Guys,
As we all can see, these timing situations can get a little hectic at times. (ie What's intentionally stopping the clock, what's not, ect ect) For what its worth, a principle I have often used is, "Never give the benefit of the doubt to the team that committed the illegal act."
In the play above, it is very hard to judge the intent. But as we can see, intentional or not, the offense has gained a signifigant timing advantage with the foul. In similar situations, I have kept the clock stopped until the snap.
Another situation this often occurs in is when a passer intentionally grounds the ball near the end of a half. Was it to save yardage or stop the clock?? Again, hard to judge intent, but in those situations the team that committed the illegal act has gained a signifigant timing advantage if the clock remains stopped until the snap. In those types of plays, I've usually started the clock on the ready.
I don't believe it is the spirit and intent of the rules that a team should get any advantage by committing illegal acts. Regardless of how the rule is "exactly" phrased, I think the integrity of the game is better protected if we keep the adage above in mind.

Just my opinion,
Doc